February 06, 2005
The butt-line is 'Live what you believe in'.
Welcome home, Kyn! Please, there is no wrong or right time to be back. This is your home. Pardon me for being a bit more acidic today than usual. I'm just annoyed, as I already explained.
It's great to see you. You little fair bitch. You are too fair for your image, really. Love Wenn's new hairdo.
See you both again and Apple on Mon. Try to cut it short though. I've morning duty in school on Tuesday. = P
xxx
Truly, I'm not a cynic.
Truly, I find hanging out with them a bad way to spend time.
I spoke to someone on Friday night who, I believe, holds the same opinions with me on our education system and on MOE. Ironically, I didn't enjoy talking to him at all. To begin with, he has rather bad conversation skills. He cuts me off when I'm in mid-sentence and gives his opinion with a lot of gesturing in my direction. That made me feel under attack even if we shared the same opinion regarding MOE. How would you like someone to gesture towards you and go, 'You don't give me that crap! You know very well that it's not...' Shit. Just let me finish up what I have to say. Bloody Hell.
Then, I realised that he sorta belongs to the 'unconstructive cynics' group. Meaning, there is something he believes in but he believes even more strongly that the world he lives in, the system he lives in, the place he lives in, the boss he works for (i.e. MOE) are not supportive of what he believes in. But, of course! If every system has to support everyone's beliefs, then what's the bloody point of having a system?
So, began a lot of complaining, whining, angry sentiment, negative energy, almost beating himself up just cos the system sucks. Like, duh?
Can we all come to terms with the fact that we all live in a system, in fact, many systems? The system may be good, or it may be bad. But there's certainly no escaping from it. If you don't like it, you either just swallow it for the sake of being in some sort of peace, or do something about it. If you want to do something about it and just your own strength is not enough to change the world, then live what you believe in such that people in your sphere of influence (everyone has one, don't say you can't influence anyone) can benefit from your actions and your thoughts. If you can't do that for whatever reason, then the minimal is to make sure you live your life such that it shows what beliefs and what core values you stand for. And, whatever it is, please remember that you are already a lot more fortunate than a lot more others who also live in this system (that sucks).
I think the thing with this group of people is that, they are so good in seeing the flaws in so many things and so ironically happy being disillusioned that nothing seems like a good gesture to them. It's so easy to fall into not being able to stay on the ground and count your blessings. Suddenly, life is like a game that you can never win and yet, you have to keep going.
Seriously, what's the point in that? Does it make you any happier? Does it make the people around you happier? Does it make the world a better place to live in?
I can respect people who knows and chose to just accept it. I find it hard to tolerate people who knows and starts generating negative energy all around him/her just so everyone would know how F-up he/she thinks the world is.
xxx
This is how it began...
Ever since I started working with autistic children, I feel a strong obligation to clarify and explain Autism Spectrum Disorder. I also feel an obligation to explain to others about the position of Pathlight School (that would be where I work).
We strongly believe that no child should be denied an opportunity to learn and develop. That is why we work very hard to give our children an equal opportunity to get ahead in terms of academic progression. At the same time, we customize our teaching to better suit their learning needs. We teach them a lot of skills parents of neuro-typical children often take for granted in their children. We teach them emotional management and social communication skills. We deal with their behavioural issues, and accomodate their sensory issues.
But we do have our constraints. Simply being in Singapore is one. The system doesn't allow our children to pursue their nation-wide exams when they are more than 2 years lagging behind. Example, a child's last chance of sitting for the PSLE is at the age of 14. I know it's one of the most unforgiving things within the system. But, at least, we are helping them to work towards that. That's our purpose.
For a whole system to change will take decades. But, this is a small step. Small but nevertheless important. If you have to be cynical about MOE and their sincerity in helping these children, go ahead. But, don't you spread the negative energy to me in my work. I believe in what I'm doing, I know what I'm doing and I enjoy doing it.
So, stand back.
xxx
Answer: When is he going to get me?
Question (Kyn to me): When are you going to get a boyfriend?
Just a practice session for the question that is bound to come this festive season.
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 01:25